Which Patients Qualify for Home Health Care?
- Patient 65 years or older
- Patient who has been diagnosed with a new illness
- Patient who has had a recent medication change
- Patient who has a skilled need such as IV Care, Pulmonary Care, Cardiac Care, Medication education and compliance, as well as many other disease specific treatment needs.
- Patient who has had a recent hospitalization
- Patient who experience difficulty leaving their home
- Patient is homebound
Homebound Status Defined
Under Medicare guidelines, a patient must be considered “homebound” to qualify for Home Health Services. Homebound status does not mean the patient has to be literally confined to their home, but rather, that the patient requires some assistance or it is a “taxing effort” for them to leave their home. Homebound status is not always permanent. For example: A patient recovering from a surgery can be considered homebound for a short term. However, once their homebound status changes, they must be discharged for outpatient care.
Common Reasons for Home Health